Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Aye Ticonderoga!

Homework struggles in my house are usually defined by the number of pencils that get broken. On a good night, no pencils are broken, but on a bad night, look out. We’ve had many homework sessions where two or three of the little guys met their demise.

I probably should have invested in Ticonderoga pencil stock several years ago. I’m not partial to that particular brand, I just like saying the name but I have found that wooden pencils are the easiest to break thus allowing my son to return to his homework more quickly.

I’ve tried lots of techniques to help get through homework with less angst but I can’t say I’ve ever been very successful. Timers were good when he was younger but now that he needs to slow down, I’m looking for new ideas.

What’s worked for you? Tell me and I’ll put together a Top 10 list in a future blog!

2 comments:

  1. I have the hardest time determining what our actual problem IS! We know about the ADD, the distractions, the fidgitiness, delayed responses, and feeling out of place. He's also very observant in unexpected ways. With that I also see some trouble learning with oral directions, however he can sometimes overhear something and know exactly what the answer is or what to do. There is also some OCD? Need to use a certain pen or pencil, moving things around on his desk in a certain way (OCD or distraction?). Noises can stop progress in an instant! I also see that he gets the big picture if you explain it to him but he needs someone to connect the dots such as when routines occur. If you explain why the routine is happening, what he needs to do and why, and the impact of not doing it etc., then there is a better chance of getting him on the same page. It's brilliance and obliviousness at the same time. He has no sense of time nor shows a sense of urgency even for something he's excitied about. That's hardest with homework. He can spend so much time and can work so hard on the simplest request. "Hurry" is a regular word in our homework vocabulary. Big projects, well it seems impossible to see the beginning, middle and end at the same time. Once he's focused he can do a great job - almost too great and eveything else fall between the cracks.
    His school has given him a simple star check off list to see what motivates him. He gets a star for each of the 3 activities in his 2 main classes. If he gets 25 stars or more in a week he gets a reward. this includes: he needs to have the tools he needs ready (pencil, planner, homework); write his homework down; and turn in his homework. This is a successful task!
    Timers don't work. He just thinks about what it will sound like and if it will make him jump.
    Anne - not sure that any of this helps you but it was good to write it down! I'll also send you a description that I wrote up - got good feedback on it...
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great description! Understanding or observing his behaviors the way you have can be both exhilarating and frustrating. If only we could just fix it, that's what moms do, right?

    ReplyDelete