Tuesday, June 2, 2009

School's Out!

Yesterday began the first full week of summer vacation for my son. His friends are out of town and he’s already bored. In that past, I’ve filled his summers with speech therapy, occupational therapy and tutoring. I’ve bought the Summer Bridge series workbooks for so many years only to pass them down, almost completely blank, from him to his sister. 

This year, I’m giving him a break. I have no educational camps, therapy of any kind or tutoring planned for the summer. Instead, his schedule will be filled with chores around the house (life skills!) and fun camps for tae kwon do, chess and video game design. 

Yesterday, we joined a neighborhood rec center and I spent the afternoon getting beat in ping pong and air hockey. He can ride his bike to the center and to a local pool. There is also a pond in the neighborhood for fishing although I’m not sure what he would do if he actually caught a fish! 

For the first time in many, many years, my son is going to enjoy his time off this summer without the constant reminder that he learns differently. I’m excited for him and nervous about “wasting” a great opportunity like the summer to increase his academic skills. 

I expect that he might grow a couple of inches taller this summer and I hope that he’ll gain some maturity as well. Maybe by fall he’ll be ready to tackle those books again. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At his young age, there are lots of games you could play with him that would help develop fine motor skills and early learning. I just wouldn't push anything too hard. Speech therapy is usually important so if he needs that, I wouldn't stop speech for the summer, or any time if you think he's still benefitting.

    There are some comments on the post about dygraphia that have some games you can play to help fine motor skills and early writing skills. Your grandson might enjoy those!

    ReplyDelete