Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer Reading

My son just finished the 3-part “Island” series by Gordon Korrman while I took on some not-so-light reading with Etta Brown’s,  Learning Disabilities – Understanding the Problem and Managing the Challenges.

Brown’s book is filled with information for parents trying to navigate their way through the public school system. She thoroughly discusses the laws, what “free and appropriate education” really means and what effect being placed in special education can have on a child’s education. 

I loved the organization of this book, particularly the action points and summary at the end of each chapter. She goes into detail about specific challenges, what each disability looks like at home and in the classroom and what a parent should do to help the child with classroom accommodations or professional help. She’s obviously well educated and promotes encouragement and understanding on behalf of learning different children. 

My only complaint about this book is the hard line Brown takes on parents. The first chapter reminded me of when my son was first evaluated for speech therapy at 18 months and the therapist asked if I ever talked to him. I don’t agree with Brown’s assessment that many learning disabilities are caused by neglect or abuse of the child. Certainly no families that I have ever met with children with learning disabilities fall into that category. Her chapter on ADHD is sure to upset more than a few parents who have made the difficult decision to use medication to help their child. 

I agree with many of Brown’s points, even if they are hard on parents. Leaving a child’s education completely in the hands of the public school is probably not a good idea. The school system is not going to make sure that every child meets their full potential or that learning disabilities are remediated. It’s a parent’s job to fill in the gaps and Brown does not mince words in making that point. 

For more info on Brown and her book, her web site is www.understanding-learning-disabilities.com

 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Anne,

    I am new to your blog. Thank you for your review of Etta Brown's book. We are fortunate enough to be able to send our son to a special school that focuses on language based learning issues. Even so, I am very engaged in his education and communicate daily with his teachers. It really it a joint effort. They notice stuff -- I notice stuff and we go back and forth. It really needs to be a joint effort.

    I am about to start reading, "The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life" ... have you read this one?

    I look forward to regularly reading your blog!

    Thanks,
    Karen Griffith Gryga
    www.lipstickwisdom.com
    www.twitter.com/lipstickwisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read that book but will put it on my list!

    I am also fortunate to have my son attending a private school for kids who learn differently. This year he will be in 7th grade and it will be his fourth year at the school. He has made impressive progress with his reading with the additional language arts support (reading, language arts and alphabetic phonics courses for the past three years).

    Thanks for reading and contributing! I look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like those who left a comment are very engaged with their schools, but I wonder if you are doing enough to find the cause of your childs problem and beginning to attempt to remediate it at home. That is what this LEARNING DISABILITIES book is about. Don't put the book on your list, read it and get started helping your child to mature in his areas of weakness. Who is going to get him organized when he goes to high school or college?

    Learning disabilities are symptoms of immature neurological development. Research states that learning disabilities can be remediated. Have you considered what interferred with your child's development. Is it an allergy, some toxin in his environment? Are you also fortunate enough to begin searching for a cause? Special schools are not country clubs, and students should not have to suffer with neurological immaturity. Parents are the only ones who can address these problems. Read the book and get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,

    Thanks for your kind review. I would like your permission to post it as a comment on Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.com.

    Etta K. Brown
    etta-brown@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you may use my review.

    I am lucky enough to know the cause of my son's learning disabilities and it's one that gets no mention in your book. His learning disabilities are not hereditary and can be linked to a chromosome disorder. I wouldn't discount your theories on food and chemicals, I think they are valid. But there are many other learning issues that are not remediated by changing a diet or checking for allergies.

    Thanks for posting your comments. Your book is sure to help parents take a closer look at their children's learning issues.

    ReplyDelete