Friday, September 18, 2009

Motivation

In my search for a full-time teaching position, I found myself saying that I understand what it takes to motivate students with learning differences and ADHD. 

I must confess that is a total lie. What I understand is that for some kids (mine), motivation seems to be completely unattainable.

My son is in 7th grade and his cell phone became the center of his universe over the summer. He lost his cell phone privileges the second week of school when he brought home a string of Fs on his school assignments. 

His mid-term progress report showed one C and he needs all As and Bs to get the phone back. I thought he would be motivated to keep the grades that were good and work on that C.

Instead, he’s struggling even more and it doesn’t appear to be a lack of ability. On a practice test he took in school yesterday, he answered “True” to a statement saying there were no tornadoes in Texas. True? From a boy that has spent many nights asleep on the bathroom floor waiting for the next round of warning sirens?

Carelessness seems to be the major culprit. Is it the ADHD? Lack of motivation or concern about school in general or his grades?

He’s now lost computer privileges on school nights until those grades are back to As and Bs but I wonder if that’s going to make a difference. 

Is anyone else in a similar situation? What’s the answer?

2 comments:

  1. Motivation with my son seems to change from day to day. Some days the motivation is time with friends, other days it is a new toy (he is younger than your son).

    I have heard that having a "coach" to account to can be a powerful tool for an older child with ADHD. Is there someone that can act as a coach for you son -- helping to break assignments down, cheer him on and then hold him accountable?

    Maybe the problem is not motivation -- maybe the problem is he is getting overwhelmed by the assignments and needs help in breaking everything down and managing it.

    Just a thought ...

    Good luck.

    Karen
    www.lipstickwisdom.com
    www.twitter.com/lipstickwisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a boy thing sometimes. My son is 12 and does not have a care in the world. He will say he has "no homework" so he can play Xbox and not even think about the consequences the next day at school when the teacher asks for it and it is not complete. For me I had to find that one thing that means more to him than his cell phone or TV. That was the Xbox. The week after we took it away was great, but it is a work in progress and a constant struggle!
    I wish you the best!
    Andrea
    StressFreeKids.com

    ReplyDelete